Wednesday, March 24, 2010



Hello everybody,

Today we are in Cartagena, it is very, very hot and humid. At the moment I am sitting at a WIFI spot in the harbour, but just the walk down there is exhausting.
We have had very rough weather, a lot of the passengers have been seasick, terrible for them, but for the remaining passengers, it meant a half full dining room. Tonight there will be a local dancegroup, they arrive at 10.30, sail away will be at 24.00 hours. Rough weather is expected again, so many sea sickness people again.
I am organising a photoshoot for the 47 passengers, who stayed on the ship going to St. Maarten. We all got a nice poloshirt, either in Antique Coral or light blue. Finally Star Clippers managed to get us some shirts that fit. They usually have an extra large, which will fit size 38 in Europe! If you look at the clothes in the sloopshop, even the male shirts are way to small! Strange.
The photoshoot will take place on Tuesday March 30, at 16.30 hours. The Captain is invited, and the purser will print the invitations. Very nice. Looking forward to that.
In the meantime I had to get adjusted to the fact that a lot of new made friends have left the ship.
Ross, Jen, John, Rokie, Carla, Ed and Sue and many, many others, you are all missed a lot.
I am still waiting for the "hunk" to get on the ship, but again, no such luck. To the oldies, it seemed that a lot of even older people joined the ship. But no nice single good looking guy! There are a lot of smokers though. On the first leg, there were probably about four people smoking, now they are everywhere. I am glad this trip will only last fourteen days. On the St. Maarten to Lisbon stretch, there will only be 85 passengers, perhaps the Hunk will be one of them.
I went into Cartagene this morning with Kathryn and Patrick, we shared a taxi, but went our own way. After strolling down the old city center and finding no luck with a working internet possibility, I went back. Yesterday I suffered from a minor sun stroke, it still bothers me today.
Walt, Leone and Tom are off to do the vulcano mud baths. Again I had to drop out due to my knee.
Due to the rocky weather I woke up last night, laying on my belly, but my legs were sticking out the bed. My cabin is way forward, and it sure feels like being in a rollercoaster all the time. Even with my weight, I nearly fell out of my bed (backwards, since my bed is between the ship's side and the bathroom wall).
Joel, I have spoken to a couple, you met after you left the ship. Since there are so many newbies, I cannot recall who they were though! Sorry about that.
There is a new first officer, Mariusz, from Poland. Axel is the new hotel manager and Sophie joined the sports team, she is, as usual, from Sweden. I cannot remember if I have mentioned in one of the previous messages, that Albertion, my cabin steward, had to leave the ship due to illness. I wish him all the best and a speedy recovery.
I have no idea when there will be another internet possibility. The internet on the ship will not be available till the ship will leave Lisbon. It is just the same with my new matress, after leaving Lisbon, there will be a new one. Way overdue, to be honest.
Well, I have to close, hope everybody is in good health, the passengers who left the ship are hopefully save at home, some of them even back at work! Poor guys. We are sorry for you.
This trip is going buy faster than I can blink my eyes. Already six weeks from home, only four weeks to go. I know, you don't have to feel sorry for me.
Well, take care, and if you are up to it, leave a message!
Ineke


2 comments:

  1. I tried to leave a comment a few weeks ago, but it seems to have gotten lost in the ozone. I am so grateful that you have posted this blog and it is so much fun to read about your trip.

    Do you have any pictures of what it was like going through the canal? I will be sailing through with Star Flyer in the fall!

    Thank you so much and keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoying your blog enormously, so envious of you, I love Star Flyer and wish I could be there. Can you give the address for Walt's blog? It would be nice to read that as well, you mention him so often.

    ReplyDelete