Wednesday, March 24, 2010




March 18, 2010


Today is the day of the Captain's dinner and the talent show. People are very interested in who will be at the Captain's table. I know of several, and some people asked me if I knew the secret to: "how to get invited to the Captain's dinner". In my opinion, it is the hotel manager and the Captain, who decides who is getting an invitation. Based on being a repeater passenger (but since 65% of the passengers is a repeater, the decision will not be easy), nationality, and the mix of the guests. This time it was an interesting mix. German, American, Australian were there.

Before dinner, the guests are having a glass of champagne, then all the non-choosen ones are decending down the stairs, followed at a respectable distance and time, by the Captain and his guests.

The Captain held a really nice speech. One of my tablemates said: he was the most human captain she had came accross within Star Clippers. I totally agree with her.

H., a German guest, held a short speech. He has bothered every passenger on the ship with stories that go on and on and on. I think I am the only one on the ship who has been succesful in avoiding this. A couple of days ago he targeted me, while I was sitting on the foredeck. I noticed this in time, and just took my walkman, put in my earplugs, turned around and after ten minutes, he left. Fine with me.

Then came the talent show.

Klaus started of the show with playing "when the Saints come marching in" on his bagpipes. Followed by a group of six men and six women, who performed an act on the song: he had it coming. The men were sitting on chairs, behind them the six women. I was woman number six. The women were all in jail for committing several serious crimes. We then went on by doing another one: killing the guy in front. It was a huge success.

The atmosphere was there, but it was followed by a passenger who told a story of a rabbit. The passengers did not like this, it was more stuff for a Kindergarten. But the story came to an end. The following act was a dance, performed by Chutima, the Thai massage girl. It was very graceful and her dress was beautiful. The Indonesian crew performed a song and Ariel, one of the bartenders, sang a song.

Then the Coconut boobies sang the following:

Bloody Mary mornin' sing along

Verse and refrain

Well it's a bloody mary mornin

we left Cocos without warning

Sometime in the night.......

but we're sailing down to Perlas

Hopes still high regardless of our plight

2

We went snorkeling with the sharks

and hiking in the parks

and bought t-shirts........

but the government officials

they did not like our papers

said "leave our dirt"

Refrain

3

Oh the rumours running rampant...

illegal fishing or deer hunting in the park

or the last Hinano beer can be found on the beach after dark

Refrain

4

we had boobies on the yardarms

dropping booby poop bombs on our head

may be that's the reason we were told to exit the Cocos by the Feds....

Refrain

Well it's a bloody mary mornin

'we left Cocos without warning

sometime in the night........

but we're sailing down to Perlas

Hopes still high regardless of our plight.

This was followed by some of the crew doing the Bamboo dance. Normally it is difficult as it is, but on a moving and rolling ship....... Aimee, the nurse, did a wonderful job, not getting caught up between the bamboo sticks.

Then the sportsteam came on, they did the disappearance trick. They did it a couple of years ago to me, one of the lady passengers is invited to join them, then she disappears behind a sheet, and suddenly a very tiny bikini top appears over the top, followed by an even more tiny bikini bottom. This time the lady in question was as thin as a needle, but I never was and still not am a skinny type of person. In my opinion, doing this trick with somebody who has a more voloptuous figure, does the trick.

Then came the success of the evening: Rokie anounced that amongst the passengers there were two previous European, World and Olympic champions synchronised swimming!

I tried to take some photo's, but never got close enough. It looked like all the passengers were in the Tropical Bar enjoying the show! I might receive some photo's from passengers who left today (Saturday - Panama). As soon as I have them I will put them on my blog.

Ross and Jen were the "swimmers", it was a huge hit from the first moment they started "swimming". It is very hard to tell why it was such a hit, just looking at their movements and their faces, hilarious. Near the end a male leg suddenly appeared, later on followed by two hairy legs. As soon as I saw the leg, I knew it belonged to Adrian.

Walt made a movie, and I hope he will show it on the internet, either on his blog or on Cruise Critic, under the Star Flyer heading.

This act was followed by a performance of Danny, who has a beautiful voice indeed. The sportsteam and Hal (alias Ken) did one last trick, but they themselves had trouble to keep straight faces!

The last part of the show was performed by the Star Flyer choir. Below are the lyrics. There were 17 passengers taking part, and we all enjoyed doing it.

I got the lyrics from Winnie and are based on My Bonnie...

(Patrick) My bacon lies over my French toast

Patatoes lie under my eggs

My pancakes are drowning in syrup

No wonder I can't see my legs. "refrain #1"

(Hal and Jan) Mateo and Kemik they tempt us

with food that we cannot resist

Rare roastbeef, garlic shrimp and lasagna

are right at the top of the list *refrain #1*

(Gudrun, Lorene) Ein Duft wedet Dich morgens im Bettchen

Garlic'ne Wolke schwebt durch Neptuus Bar

Selbst Kuchen erhaelt dies Aroma

Man glaubt's nicht - es ist aber wahr!

Refrain

Knoblauch, Knoblauch

dem Daft kann man nirgends entfliehen

garlic, garlic

wo fluechte ich mich bloss hin?

(Dorene and Ricardo) We're tired before breakfast is over

A nap to revive us for lunch

And then we have 4.30 nibbles

Before the huge dinner we munch *refrain #1*

(Helen) Gymnastics with Gustav is helpful

A mile with Victor is fine

For lunch I will have me a salad

Unless there is beef cooked in wine *refrain #1*

(David) Ariel, Ashton and Danny

They fill us with cocktails and beer

While Joey is dancing with Claudia

They're heading for Broadway, we hear *refrain #2*

(June) Each day we have so many choices

There never will be enough time

Deck golf, yoga, tai chi and pilates

Missing bridge is considered a crime *refrain #2)

(Betty and Richard) Each evening we meet after dinner

For Saskia's contests and more

Frog races and great Karaoke

The lectures are never a bore

(Gudrun and Lorene) Von Seefahrt und all ihren Tuecken

Kann Klaus uns ne'Heuge erzaehlen

Kunstfaelschern faellt Knut in den Ruecken

ent???? und beweist ihr Verhegh

Pentinmenti und Crackeles taeuschen ihn nicht

Faelscher, Betrueger

Sie fuehren ihn nicht ........ licht (Knoblauch refrain)

(Ruth and Peter) Starlight dancing to music by Joszef

Keeps everyone up on their feet

And then when he plays the piano

It's always a wonderful treat *refrain #2*

(Ross) Swedish lessons with Victor and Gustav

We laughed until tears filled our eyes

But now we speak beautiful Swedish

"Vi Elskar er", you adorable guys *refrain #2

(Joe) The Captain and crew they have brought us

Across the Equator in style

The Sea Queen will stay in our memory

The devils will bring back a smile (no refrain)

(Adrian) First kissing a fish for King Neptune

Then jellyfish, flour and rum

The sirens then dunked all the virgins

It was quite dramatic for some *refrain #2

(Gudrun and Elenore) Wir loben am Abend "Regina"

Sie Schenkt uns den Fangfrischen Fisch

Der "Green Flash"er weist sich als "nie da"

Enttaeuscht schleppen wir uns zu Tisch

Segeln, Schlemmen und Schaukeln im Suedlichen Wind

Traeumen, Nichtstun, das ist es weshalb wir hier sind

(Char) Star Flyer is like a narcotic

One go and you're hooked on this ship

So many familiar faces

Returned for this fabulous trip *refrain #2*

(Peter) Great Britain, New Zealand and Iceland

Australian and German and Swiss

All laughing and playing together

On this voyage we couln't resist (no refrain)

(Ineke) Canadian, Argentine, Irish

American, Austrian and Dutch

All singing and dancing together

All eating and drinking too much

(Winnie) Star Flyer sails over the ocean

Star Flyer sails over the sea

This is such a magical journey

How lucky, how lucky are we *refrain #2*

*refrain #1*

Bring back, bring back, oh bring back my body to me, to me

bring back, bring back, oh bring back my body to me.

*refrain # 2*

Old friend, new friends

Laughing and sailing across the sea

Sharing, caring

One happy family are we.

-------------

To me, this was one of the better talent shows.

Take care,

Ineke



1 comment:

  1. Hi Ineke,
    I missed the last number of the talent show. So I'm so happy you reprinted it here. I won't say much as I entered a long comment on your Aruba blog, and it disappeared. So I will see if this one sticks around.

    Cheers,

    Sue

    ReplyDelete