Wednesday, March 24, 2010






March 15 and 16, 2010

Since we arrived very early, and due to a busy schedule, breakfast was half an hour early.

The activities you could participate in were snorkeling, going to the beach, making a medium and/or a difficult walk.

There are about 30 rangers working on the Island, which is on the Unesco list.

The island is a national park and belongs to Costa Rica.

I decided to do the difficult walk. There were only 7 of us, and off we went in the tender. There was another tender with many more people, doing the medium walk. After a couple of hundred meters, we passed this tender. It had broken down. The people on board had to step onto another tender, when it arrived.

After about a half hour ride, we arrived at the location. There was a ranger standing in the water. The water lever came first to his knees, but out of nowhere a wave would come, and before you knew it, only his body could be seen.

Next thing, he was waist deep in the water. Since the age of the passengers rangers from just thirty to over 85, you can imagine, it would have been very difficult for some passengers to do a wet landing. It was not only that you had to climb down a ladder at the front of the tender, but then you had to wade through waist deep water to get to shore. Another danger was, when a wave should appear and people were in the water, the tender could be swept over the persons already in the water. The rangers had a small zodiac, they tried to get people of the tender into the zodiac, but it was way to dangerous.

So back we went, but the young guy sitting next to me, was really pissed off. This is the second island I cannot go to, I just do not understand why we cannot go onshore! I tried to explain to him, it was way to dangerous for most passengers. He then replied: I am not interested in other passengers!!!! He seems to be a very intelligent person, working in fysics, but in my opinion, his EQ is way below par. I just could not believe what he just said.

Then John tried to explain it to him, but he kept on saying, this was the second island he would miss. I then told him it still might be possible in the afternoon, if they decided to use the zodiacs. But no success. My goodness, this young man still has to learn some important lessons.

So we went back to the ship and it was announced we all could go on a snorkeling tour, but there was a line of about 12 people, so I decided to stay on the ship for the time being. The temperature was very high, humidity close to being unbearable, so a dip in the pool was the best thing. So I did. On getting a cup of thea, I ran into the Captain, who asked me what had exactly happened. I told him, I thought it was way to dangerous, and that the crew had taken the right decision.

Seemingly the young man had been raving on and on about missing another island, so he wanted to know the opinion of several of the other passengers.

In the afternoon, there was another possibility, exactly what I expected. So of he went. I do hope, the excursion was to his liking, otherwise he probably will not shut up about it.

There was so much negativity around, that I decided to stay on the ship. Up till now, I have enjoyed every minute of my trip, and I don't want my good humour being spoiled by some brat or other passengers, whose only idea of having a fun holiday is: complain, complain and complain. I had a very peaceful afternoon, but you sure had to stay in the shade, if you went in the sun, you still could feel the prickling heat.

At about 18.30 several of the rangers came to the ship. They showed us a documentary about the national park and the do's and don'ts. The national park is asking an entrance fee for every passanger and a fee from each ship. The problem is that only a small portion of the money received, is reserved for the national park. Most of it goes to the Costa Rican government, which devides it over all the national parks in Costa Rica.

The rangers are allowed to do their own fund raising, and requested the guest to make a donation. They have only two boats to cover the 12 mile zone around the island, and at the moment only one is working. A lot of fisherman come to fish in the 12 mile zone, having the equipment, to know if and when a park ship is approaching. Law states they can only confiscate material if they are caught red handed.

If you made a donation, you would get a t-shirt or a polo shirt. I am now in the posession of a t-shirt, since it was the only one with size XL.

I heard from the Captain the Rangers were very pleased with the amount of money they collected. I am really happy for them. They do such a good job.

On March 16, we would stay till midday, and then we were supposed to be leaving fo the Pearl Islands.

As usual, I was up at 06.30 and noticed a lot of activity on the bridge and from the crew.

It appeared the Captain had received a call from the Costa Rican Government, they had to leave the 12 mile zone by 07.00. No reason was given.

A lot of people were very dissappointed, there were some dives scheduled, snorkeling was also taking place, and a lot of people were going to do the walking.

I think the government wanted a bribe and the Captain was not willing to meet their demands. There was another ship, with a lot of divers onboard, who also left the island.

Seemingly Isla del Coco is one of the most beautiful diving spots. It is also a breeding ground for hammerhead sharks. What a disappointment for everybody.

The Captain announced the decision to leave on the PA and told the passengers the ship would go round the island and then would go in the direction of the Pearl Islands.

The humidity is very, very high, and we are bothered by small flies, they don't bite, but are annoying.

When we left, we were accompanied by dolphins, I even managed to take a photo when one of the dolphins jumped out of the water.

Today the passengers can have a tour to the engine room, Peter the head engineer, will show them everything. Klaus will give a talk about Piracy in English followed by the quiz and the singing of Salve Regina.

I just remembered that Claudia, one of the passengers, showed up on deck at about 10.00 hors, sun glasses on, wearing a bikini, sipping on a cup of coffee, also having a glass of orange juice in her hand, and wearing her snorkeling gear in her shoulder bag.

When she came outside, she looked around, completely flabbergasted. We are moving: she said! Yes, and no snorkeling will be done. She must have been the only passengers on the ship who had not heard the announcement of the Captain. We all had a good laugh about it.

So it is about 15.00 in the afternoon. Some rain showers, clouded, very humid, hot and many passengers reading, playing back gammon, in the swimming pool and looking forward to the afternoon snack.

Life can be very difficult, I know.

Tonight there will be another crab race. A lot of people are taking on bets.

Last night we were dancing to the stars, and my knee does not like that kind of activity. I have decided to keep on dancing, since I love doing it. I just have to take some painkillers in advance and wear my knee support.

Well, that will be all for today.

Take care,

Ineke

No comments:

Post a Comment