Friday, February 19, 2010





Monday, February 8, 2010

Started packing, and when I weighed my suitcase it was over 30 kilos! No wonder I had trouble, getting it off the bed. I must have done something wrong, because later in the evening when I wanted to put my dinner in the microwave, my knee gave away, and I couldn't stand on it, let alone walk.

Since the first kneeproblems started on January 1st, I had been on crutches for two weeks, and the orthopedic surgeon told me, I needed a new knee. But not now, I am going on a trip of a lifetime, and don't have the time for knee surgery! I should not have been worried, it seemingly takes months to get everything organised, so I could still go on my trip. All went well, have been practising walking up and down the stairs.

So, there I was, on my bum, on my way to the dinner table to pick up a chair, and by pushing it in front of me, I got to the kitchen. By the way, this is the way Dutch children learn how to skate, by pushing a chair.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tuesday I called the travel agent, explained I needed transportation in Amsterdam, as well as in London, LA and Papeete.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

After nearly 10 months since booking, this is THE DAY!

After check in in Amsterdam, I was put in a wheelchair and whisked through customs by a very nice young man. I gave him my blogname and he promised me to read it. If he does, I want to thank him again for his help. Before I knew it, I was on my way to London.

In London, there was another wheelchair. Since I had to change terminals, I was put in a bus and again whisked away. Had the bus to myself. Then I had to wait at least twenty minutes in a very cold terminal, before somebody picked me up. When checking in with Air New Zealand I asked if the middle chair in economy was still empty. It wasn't. I asked how much an upgrade to business class would cost me, it worked out that I had to pay less, than I would have, when booking an economy premier seat. So I travelled in full swing to LA. Had a very nice meal, very pleasant flight attendants, and a six hour plus sleep. Not a bad way of travelling.

In LA I had to leave my fingerprints, but when the guy asked for my toeprints, I told him that were my private parts (sounds me being of the male gender!), and I wanted to keep it that way. Although I was only in transit in the States, I had to pick up my bags, go through customs, check in the bags and check in for the flight to Papeete.

Being in a wheelchair saves you a lot of time. The lines in LA were very long, but there I was, shush, going through all the lines in a wiff. Perfect. The only drawback is, I had to wait longer for check in. But, you can't have it all!

In LA I made the mistake of buying two bags of M&M's. They costed me USD 24,=! I find that outrageous. In a normal shop those two bags would have costed me less than USD 5,=! I know, I could have left them, but being already on my way for a day, I decided I wanted them. I could not eat them though! I had to wait till I was through customs in Papeete, before I was allowed to open the bag!



February 11, 2010

In Papeete I again was in a wheelchair, through customs, standing in front of an ATM. I tried to get some local currency, but the machine told me my bank had blocked my card! The same message I got when I tried to use my credit card. Oeps, no money.

Luckily I had some Euro's, so I changed those into the local francs.

After checking in in the hotel and buying some internet minutes, I tried to send an email to my bank. No internet connection available.

I finally went to the shopping centre, bought a telephone card, and phoned my sister in law. My telephone was not working either. I asked her to phone the bank in the morning, and ask them was went wrong. I had informed them about my travel plans, I even put a higher limit to my credit card.

At eleven o'clock at night my brother phoned. The bank could see I had taken out usd in LA, and since I tried to withdraw some funds within 24 hours, the card was refused. According to my bank, my credit card was ok. So, thanks to my sister in law and brother, I have no worries for the moment.

February 13, 2010

Then came Saturday, I was going to meet Gail and Walt at the local market, but having spent a couple of hours the day before, I decided it would be better for my knee not to go. So we all met up in the afternoon, doing the 4x4 excursion that Walt had arranged.

The funny thing was, that just after we met, we all had the feeling, we knew each other for I don't know how long. Having spent so many months on the internet, we were familiar with each other. Had some good laughs while Arnaud showed us some other parts of Tahiti. Due to the cyclone of more than a week ago, we saw a lot of damage. Several times we had to take the same road again, because some of the roads were blocked by debris.

When we came to a small pool area, only the women were brave enough to take a dip. I think it should be time to change the expression "strong men" to strong women!! Chicken, chicken don't you think. Let me know if you agree! Only if you agree though!

After the cruise Arnaud dropped us of in the centre of Papeete, we first had a drink and then looked for something to eat at the different roulettes.

The place was busy with families, tourists and I don't know how many roulettes. Most of the group decided to settle for a Chinese meal, Gail and Walt were going for some raw fish dish.

At nine o'clock I was ready to go back to the hotel. Due to a time difference of 11 hours, my internal clock is still not settled. I still wake up every night at 3. Glad the winter olympics are on. Have seen a lot of ski jumping, which I do not fancy that much, but if you are wide awake, it beats watching some sorts of movies.

Found out the buses were no longer in service, so had to settle for a taxi. Since it was after eight, they asked 2900,= polynesian francs. A total ripp off. I did not have that kind of money on me, so I walked back to the group, and luckily Gail and Walt had struck up with two other American girls. When one of the group (no name will be mentioned, yet) walked back to his guest house (not that far away, but through some pretty dark streets) a very good looking woman (in this part of town, you don't know if it is a HE or a SHE) came walking towards him. After they passed each other, he without a name (yet), looked over his shoulder to have a good look at his/her bum.

At the same time, "she" did the same, and clearly got the impression the person without a name (yet) was interested, so she started to make all kind of funny noises. Please use your imagination! The person without etc. etc. left in a hurry and made it safely back to the hotel. Pffffffff. Narrow escape.

February 14, 2010

Not only it is Valentine's day today, but also the start of the Chinese New Year. So the good omen are with us, I hope.

Today we boarded the ship. Boarding started at 16.00 hours. We were welcomed by the captain and crew of the Flyer. After a nice meal most of the passengers are waiting for our midnight departure. This might be postponed, due to some 20 passengers arriving late.

I have no idea if I will make it, but on the other hand, I am looking forward to the first sail away, with the music. So keep my fingers crossed.

Well, at 23.45 I gave up. I was nodding off, my feet were killing me, so I went to my cabin.

February 15, 2010

At the moment we are anchored offshore Moorea. Just collected my snorkeling equipment, and signed up for a snorkeling tour with the sports team.

The diving is no good here, this all has to do with the cyclone, the bottom is completely covered in mud, so visibility will be poor. Hopefully the diving possibilities on the other islands will be better. Walt and Charlotte are both signing up for the diving trips. I have tried it several times on board the ship, in the swimming pool, but am getting a little bit scared, so I just stick to the snorkeling.

Just heard there are only two divemasters on the ship, instead of four. Two went off in Papeete, so that clearly restricts the diving possibilities for the people who want to dive.

Just noticed they have also cancelled the snorkeling trip. Instead, you can sign up for a swimming trip. Well, that is not going to happen. Gail (whenever she shows up), Walt and myself are taking the water taxi from the Continental to a Motu. Should be nice to do some swimming, there also is a little bar, so the two of them can have a beer. I will stick to some tropical juice.

Will keep you informed. Since the lack of internet possibilities, I have not been able to download any photo's and/or animations. Hopefully I will succeed next time.

It is bye for now, take care everybody, and if you have any comments, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Pralientje

No comments:

Post a Comment